Photography & Motorsports

          

 

 

 

 

What's new with our car & team?

2006 has had high's and low's but we call that racing and that's what we do. The high point of our season to date is we were able to run a 7.86 ET, the first for us as well as several random engine failures caused by what we believe to be ignition misfires.

Following hours of data analysis, rewiring and consulting with professionals and still I could not point a finger at one specific cause of the misfire (which was never consistent nor did it effected the same rotor repeatedly) and even though we ran our first 7 second pass with this configuration and hardware and after many hour of research on ignition problems, I elected to change electronics.

I do not believe the Microtech was the cause of this problem and the reason I say that is because there are many really fast rotary powered cars out there running Microtech ECU's. Although I can not prove it, I highly suspected the two MSD DIS2HO's (one for leading and one for trailing) for my ignition misfire problems. Was it the location of the hardware components or could it be the limitations of CD (Capacitive Discharge) ignition in the high revving, turbo charged, methanol burning 13B engine in this specific racecar? Why did I have this problem where we DESTROYED a total of 5 engines and blowing up my intake manifold and nobody else did? The fact is that I will never know.

The Carnage from a misfire or two!

Again, after many hours of research and asking a lot of people a lot of questions, I elected to change electronics. I removed the old setup and installed the Electromotive Tech3R system. The entire setup consists of the ECU, harness, crank trigger wheel and 4 matched ignition coils. The ignition is inductive therefore does not have to rely on charging and discharging capacitors to provide spark at precisely the right time.

New crank Trigger

I made the electronics conversion the week end of the Atco, NJ race and with the help of a few experts the project went smoothly. The most surprising benefit of all which was not even a consideration was the fact that the car lost 25 lbs after removing the MSD's, relays and wiring.

The next thing, which has been in the works for several months and one I fell will make us a competitive as anyone else running a 13B is the new one of a kind custom made eccentric shaft. It is 4 lbs lighter than a stock shaft, a LOT stronger and won't flex quiet so easily.

The center main bearing, which is the same stock Mazda main bearing that is in found in the stationary gears at each of the ends of the shaft. The custom modification has a -06 oil feed just next to the oil filler in the top of the iron. The rotors are modified slightly to accept the "new lobes" which the rotor bearing rotate on. The shaft also is made with the 20B style nut on the front of the shaft so that 200 ft/lbs of torque can be applied to hold the taper together of the 2-piece shaft. The oil spray jets have been eliminated and small holes drilled directly into the center of the shaft provide oil to cool the rotors.

Assembly is easily done and not too different from the "normal" assembly procedures I have always used. I am still using stock 2mm Mazda 2-piece apex seals and stock springs, corner seals & springs and side seals and springs. Once I have a pair of new rotors cut to 3mm, I will then be using the NRS 3mm ceramic apex seals which performed very well in an earlier engine combination.

Engine Test Stand for breaking in the brand new engines

Send mail to ken@kenscheepers.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2001- 2018 Team Ken Scheepers
Turbo II Performance, Inc.    All rights reserved.